• The Prototype-Cast

    Meet the Low-Poly-Cast of our prototype. I have been working on the low-poly-models for ingame-use and have finished all four character-models. Now there are a lot of animations to do, so I'm off to do some keyframe-work...

    Give us some love:

  • Abbot Low-Poly Model

    Abbot, Character, No Place For Traitors

    Today I worked on the Low-Poly-Model of the Abbot, which, due to the beard, was not simply manipulating the Antonius-model. I always find it hard to do facial hair believable in Low-Poly-models. this time, though, I am quite happy with the result. So I thought I'd share the approach I used: 

    First, I modelled a simple beard-shape, still with the particlesystem (hair) of the high-res model visible. Then I created the beard-texture, using blender itself by simply rendering only the hairs of the high-polymodel from the side and from the front. After merging these two textures to one, I did the UV-Unwrapping and voila! The LowPoly Model has a nice-looking beard. 

    Give us some love:

  • Rafael - Creation Process

    Rafael Creation Process

    Not a timelapse-video but a (I think) nevertheless instructive image, showing the steps of the character creation process of yesterdays model 'Rafael'. (click on the image to see it big)

    I do not do any scetches, I always work directly in 3D (i'm not too good painting). I have a clear idea of the character I want to model in my mind, though, having thought about it for quite some days. With some basic preparations like having a basemesh which fits your needs and knowing your tools, you can achieve results relativley fast. Rafael took me from start to end about 5 hours.

    Normally you would do a retopo of the head for the ingame-model. This would be quite time-consuming and so I use the NormalMap of the HighRes model, copy the model and set the MultiRes Modifier back to 1 (if you set it to 0, the face would not be recognizable). Like that, I have a nice looking model with about 2450 polygons instead of the HighRes with 2514944 polygons. True, you can optimize it more and could probably get a face model with less than 1000 Polygons. I think for a prototype, though, a 2500 poly-headmodel is ok, taking into account that we nearly have no other models in the scene except the characters. So I think unity can easily handle these not-optimized head models. For the final game I probably would do a retopo, though.

    Give us some love:

  • And another character: The cook Rafael

    No Place For Traitors, Character Cook

    Today I dedicated myself to another character, the last character to be done for the prototype: Rafael, the cook. I wanted it to be (a little stereotype, I know) a slightly overweight monk, who can easily be identified as a gourmet and connaisseur of culinaric pleasures.  I am quite happy with the result.

    Give us some love:

Serious Monk Serious Monk Serious Monk
Editor | COA | Admin


We are an independent gamedesign studio based in Cologne, Germany.

serious monk
Manuel Schmitt
Maybachstrasse 155
50670 Köln
+49 221 93825101
Write us an Email





About this Webpage:

This webpage is a developer-blog, providing information for the interested about the production of our computer-games. This shall not only serve as a product-show-off, but also as a platform for other developers to read about our problems, our solutions and thoughts during the development.

We will offer tutorials, tests, opinions related to indie-game-development and of course information about the games we are currently working on.

Stay tuned. Happy gaming.









IMPRESSUM | ADMIN